Cane Toad Poisoning in Dogs
Updated: Mar 5
In this article we will discuss the signs of Cane Toad ( Bufo Toad ) poisoning in a dog and what you can do while on your way to the vet. In a Cane Toad poisoning event, time is the enemy. The sooner you get your pup to the definitive care of a veterinarian, the greater their odds of recovery.
The signs of Cane Toad poisoning are similar to other types of poisoning, like antifreeze. Do not waste time trying to find a toad or source of the poison if it is not readably clear. Remember you are on the clock. Within a couple minutes of contact, you may start to see the following early signs of poisoning:
Drooling or frothing of the mouth
Red and irritated gums
Pawing at the mouth or eyes
Vocalization not normal for your dog, such as whining or whimpering
As the poison works its way through the body, more advanced signs will develop:
Abnormal eye movement
Vomiting / diarrhea
Changes in heart rate and rhythm
Without immediate care, death may occur.
Remember, nothing beats the definitive care that your pet will receive at the vet's office. However if time will allow, there are beneficial measures you can take before heading there. By reducing the residual poison left in the dogs mouth, you can greatly improve their odds of survival. Remember this saying "The solution to pollution is dilution".
Scrub scrub scrub! By scrubbing the poison from the mouth before diluting with water you reduce the odds of accidently poisoning your own pet.
Thoroughly flush your pets mouth, face and eyes with a hose or other water source. It is very important to angle their head downwards so that the water does not go down their throat.
Know which vets are around you and their hours of operation. If possible, call en route via a handsfree method so that the vet knows you are coming and can be prepared.
Stay calm, you are in an adrenaline inducing situation. Your pup is relying on you to act quickly but with a clear purpose. Drive carefully.